Hanging up side down and held in with a seat belt or some other tough nylon strapping? No worries. Cutting through the webbing will be like using a hot knife on soft butter. Simple as that. And no need to worry about cuts or punctures where you don't want them. The design shields the cutting edge. Protecting delicate surfaces.
Features: Large finger hole for use with tactical gloves Quick release palstic sheath Sharp stainless steel blade Injection molded grip Steel window breaker tip / lanyard hole Supplied with a MALICE clip - High strength, injection molded connecting clips designed to attach to vests, belts, packs, MOLLE or SPEAR equipment.
Size: 4.375" Weight: 2.25 oz.
Not for sale to persons under the age of 18. By placing an order for this product, you declare that you are 18 years of age or over and will use the item responsibly and appropriately.
Bought this as a response officer since I was looking for something that would be effective for both RTCs and incidents where a ligature cutter was required.
Only had it a few days so thankfully not had to use it in anger yet. Here's my first impressions:
- Like with any Gerber tool the blade is incredibly sharp...
- ...but it's almost impossible to accidentally cut something due to the angle and size of the opening. This makes it perfect for cutting anything close to skin.
- Appears to be big enough to cut a thumb sized rope
- Fits in your hand very securely, using the finger hole means it won't go anywhere while cutting (unlike a resqme which is very awkward to use in a stressful situation). When the tool is turned around to use as a glass breaker, the notch provides a place for your little finger to sit, ensuring that your hand doesn't slide down the tool on impact.
- Lanyard hole just next to the glass breaker if better retention is desired
- Sits fairly securely on MOLLE webbing
- Will fit securely next to the leg restraints in the standard size leg restraint pouch on a tac vest (e.g. https://www.copshopuk.com/space-tech-duty-vest) as an alternative to using the supplied holder.
- The provided clip for attaching to a duty belt is abysmal. It's just a piece of plastic which feels like it is likely to snap, and it doesn't fit securely. When I attached it to my belt I found the whole arrangement was free to spin, move around and ride up under my body armour
- The tool is a bit on the small side, so can take a bit of getting used to where to put your fingers while using it so they don't get in the way
Overall, the Gerber Strap Cutter is a nice little tool. I'd consider it an alternative to the resqme if you want a more substantial strap cutter at the expense of the ease of using the glass breaker. (Posted on 04/02/2022)